[ExI] Giving up autonomy for cryogenic suspension

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 15:57:18 UTC 2020

One of my personal nightmare scenarios is being frozen, having my body
stolen in the hundreds-of-years interim, and waking up imprisoned as some
kind of fucked up slave, possibly a sex slave.

I've never heard anyone talk about this but in my opinion it's a huge
issue.  You are trusting people with your body, not just to keep it alive,
but to keep it safe from interlocutors.  How is it possible to guarantee
safety over these time periods?  Who's to say Alcor doesn't go bankrupt, or
suffer a burglary, in 70 years or something?

Is there any philosophically rigorous solution to this?  The only thing I
can really think of is some kind of system that would wake you up
periodically to check on things and decide if you wanted to stay frozen,
but that's likely not possible (at least yet.) Any security can be broken,
right?