[ExI] Intelligence test

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Nov 26 00:43:28 UTC 2020

From: William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 3:46 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: spike <spike at rainier66.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Intelligence test

There is a reasonable protocol which would suggest the term hole means something that goes thru, like the hole needed to mount a door knob.  If it is a 10 cm in thickness, one might suppose a hole 5 cm in depth would qualify has half a hole.

spike

Ah, Spike, you've done it again.  (strictly speaking, though, no, as the word 'dig' prevents your solution - now if you were digging to China.....)   bill w

On the contrary professor.  There are multiple ways to address the problem.  For instance, imagine if the men had no hole saw, but were laboriously constructing the hole with toothpicks, a process which could easily take three exhausting days to “dig” through.

Another possibility would be if three additional men, dressed in polyester bell bottoms and tie-die T-shirts were to wander by, witness the effort to penetrate the door and were filled with admiration.  Ja I know, the younger set among us will not dig that solution.

However, should one show up with nine sugar coated fried dough spheres as a treat for the workers and the second three admirers, but the new arrival herself demurred from imbibing in the treats, the most equitable means of distributing the pastries would be to give to each one whole hole, then divide the remaining holes in half, so that each gets 1.5 holes.  All must be hipsters from the 60s and must appreciate donuts for that solution to work, for then all six would dig the whole hole and simultaneously dig half a hole.

spike

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 4:56 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat

>…"A pool contains a plant that doubles in size each day.  How many days does it take for the plant to fill the pool?"  (If you take more than three seconds on this one you flunk)

>…Or - three men take three days to dig a hole - how many days does it take them to dig half a hole? (5 seconds max)  scroll for answers:

>…29 days - many just blurt out 15 - none of you, certainly…

Professor, as stated, the question is indeterminant.

You can't dig half a hole (setup did not say a hole half the size of the first one - can't assume that)

bill w

Well let’s think that thru a bit.  There is a reasonable protocol which would suggest the term hole means something that goes thru, like the hole needed to mount a door knob.  If it is a 10 cm in thickness, one might suppose a hole 5 cm in depth would qualify has half a hole.