[ExI] Thanksgiving

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Nov 28 17:15:34 UTC 2020

...> On Behalf Of Bill Hibbard via extropy-chat

Subject: Re: [ExI] Thanksgiving

>...During the pandemic and its travel bans, I've been enjoying virtual
travel via Google Earth. You can share your Google Earth window in Zoom, to
take friends along on your travels.
When we find something interesting, a web search can usually tell us all
about it.

Hi Bill, ja, and that even created a new sport.  Google maps street view
requires a Google car to roll around (automated driver but with a carbon
unit behind the wheel) taking pictures.  Things change, so they update them
periodically.  Since I live close to their HQ, they update around here
pretty often and I see the Google cars frequently.

Google has some kind of algorithm which is supposed to pixelate faces, but
it doesn't always work.  So the game is to do something silly or funny when
the Google car comes by, then go into street view later and see if you are
immortalized doing whatever silliness you invented on the spot, leaping
skyward, mooning, making gang signs, that sorta thing.  I call it
schmoogling.  If one takes one's dignity very seriously, I cannot recommend
this particular sport.

Now it has become even easier, since Google has fallen out of favor in some
circles.  Apple is making their own version of Google Street View.  I saw
their car last week, so I schmoogled that car.  I suppose it should be
called something else.  I schmappled it.

This strategy will work fine until Duck Duck Go decides they want to do a
street view.  Then the sport will have an awkward name perhaps.