[ExI] Thanksgiving

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 14:08:18 UTC 2020

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 5:59 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <

> I second that, bigtime. What happened to human-computer ergonomics? It
> used to be a field of study.

It's been subsumed by the User Experience (UX), which encompasses all
aspects of the user's interaction with a company and its products and
services. UX is considered sexier and more important than the user
interface (UI), and UI has suffered as a result. I think that many
widely-used user interfaces are horrid, e.g., Hulu Live (streaming TV with
"DVR"), Snapchat (photo/video social networking), and FaceBook. Google
generally does a pretty good job, though there's room for improvement.

I notice nobody has mentioned Virtual (and Augmented) Reality as a
> near-term tech to be anticipated. I'm keenly anticipating that, but
> expect it will have to be substantially hacked, or be open-source (thus
> easily hackable), to be useable. The commercial versions will be
> dreadful, no doubt.

 Google Translate translating written language in real time in video is
already very useful. VR seems to always be 5 years away from awesome.

After that, I'd hope for life-extension tech, including replacement
> bio-synthetic body parts, leading to full cyborgisation.

Additive manufacturing (AKA 3D printing) will be a big part of that.

-Dave