[ExI] Queen's Gambit

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 17:30:51 UTC 2020

On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 at 17:16, spike jones via extropy-chat
<snip>
> Whaaaat?  Competition isn't beautiful now?  Competition breeds excellence!  Of course it is beautiful.  Chess tournaments have beauty prizes for the most brilliant game.  This prize is often as coveted as the trophy, for the trophy is packed away in the closet and forgotten, but a beautiful attack lives on forever.  This sentiment was expressed so well by Ivan Sokolov, who was beating the hell outta the world champion, who hatched a beautifully sneaky desperate counter-attack, which succeeded.  Sokolov comment is one every serious tournament player can relate to: "...eef I do not keel self tonight, I veel leef thousant years..."
>
> spike

Must mention Mikhail Tal.
<https://thechessworld.com/articles/general-information/10-best-chess-games-by-mikhail-tal/>
Quote:
Mikhail Tal was the 8th World Chess Champion and widely recognized as
a creative genius and one of the best attacking players of all time.
“Misha” was known for his unpredictability and superb improvisation.
Tal holds the records for the first and second longest unbeaten
streaks in professional chess. There is a lot you can learn from his
attacking masterpieces.

Long a hero of mine.  His attacking play was unbelievable! Superhuman
I would say.

BillK