[ExI] the big picture

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Wed Oct 7 16:14:52 UTC 2020

Here is an interesting article about the big picture of life in the
biosphere. It breaks the biosphere down by the carbon mass of
different taxa across different environments. There are some surprises
to be found. Like how on land, plant life outweighs animal life, while
in the oceans, animal life outweighs plant life by a large margin.

https://www.pnas.org/content/115/25/6506

The big takeaway is that this era in our natural history really does
deserve to be called the Anthropocene. We contain 3% of the carbon
contained in all animal life on Earth. We are but a single species but
we outweigh all species of wild land vertebrates combined. If we count
our livestock, our share of carbon biomass starts to rival some phyla
of invertebrates. All this is before we even start talking about
fossil fuel usage.

This is fascinating stuff. Also, I think it's cool that professional
scientists are starting to data mine Wikipedia like I do.

Stuart LaForge