[ExI] Are Social Media to blame for USA political hatreds?

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 23:08:23 UTC 2020

Well, none of us is unfamiliar with the confirmation bias.  That is the
main result of Facebook's giving people what Facebook thinks they want:
more of the same.

Another factor that should, but seemingly does not play a big role:
skepticism.  The bigger the difference between and among news sources
should cause us to be more skeptical than usual, and maybe that is what
people like us do - people trained in being careful about concluding
anything based on contradictory data.

The more I read about the polarization of opinions, the more I think
epistemology ought to be taught as early as possible in schools.
Scientists think differently.

I wrote on Quora about arrogance the other day:  I mentioned Einstein, who
was very careful, almost timid, about his theories. Tentative.  Just the
way one should be with startling new ideas.  Bohr as well.  Newton said
that he stood on the shoulders of giants.  Scientists, mathematicians and
others close to these fields think in ways that the average person does
not, but should.  Teach ways of thinking and believing in schools.

Spike might enlighten us on how to go to school board meetings, which I
assume are open, and have some influence on what is taught.

     bill w

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 5:45 PM BillK via extropy-chat <