[ExI] puzzling

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Oct 18 16:30:59 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Henrik Ohrstrom via extropy-chat
…

>…Then I apologize and Florida is doing well.

I do not follow the medical details of USA closely, I am busy with our own stupid wanking in the pandemia-biz.

/Henrik

Hi Henrik,

We are stupid wanking in the pandemia-biz here too.  The whole process was politicized from the start.  Even most yanks never did really catch on that to make sense of any of this, we must recognize that the US is a collection of more than 50 different jurisdictions, each with a governor who sets the policy in that state or territory.

Some governors recognize how different are their counties and do the logical thing: make only general guidelines and delegate the county health departments make the call.  This is how California works, as it should: we have several counties which have been almost untouched by covid.  There is no justification for harming the economies of those counties when the really big problems are in the Los Angeles basin.  Things are different down there.

When you think about it, there isn’t really any other good way to do it in the USA.  The federal government is not entitled to medical records because of 4th amendment rights.  States can see their counties vary widely in conditions.  Even counties have very different conditions within the county, but at some point a county health department must make a call.