[ExI] ligo again: was: RE: puzzling

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Oct 19 17:36:24 UTC 2020

-----Original Message-----
From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>

>...After scratching around for some alternative theory, this is the last
one standing...

Fun aside: I simultaneously pondered that black hole merger announced in
early September.  That one too has me leaning toward the simplest solution:
that these two black holes formed in the plane of an enormous accretion disc
and grew to their absurd size by absorbing material from that disc, while
simultaneously bleeding away their mutual angular momentum, which caused
them to merge.  Ja I know there are some huge puzzles remaining in that
model, such as how that disc could have been so big and so dense, but the
best I can do is that things were different back then and we don't yet know
why, but if that turns out to be the right answer, you heard it first here.