[ExI] Is the ExI email list slowly dying out? And if so, what can be done to reverse such an outcome?

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 16:15:37 UTC 2020

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 6:42 AM Giulio Prisco via extropy-chat
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 12:26 AM William Flynn Wallace via
> extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
> >
>> I will admit that some of us leftists are gaga over the LG etc. people.  It's
>> a very appropriate cause for us - the discriminated against, the
>> misunderstood, the latest civil rights cause.  But as we have seen for
>> many years with Blacks, beating the drum for the cause can equate with
>> beating people over the head with it.  Tiresome - very quickly.  Down here
>> the newspapers include some civil rights stuff for Blacks once or twice a
>> week, with pictures, history, references to lynching and so on.  Too much
>> of a good thing.  I wonder if Blacks get tired of it too?   bill w

See below, but from Bill W's statement, I'm wondering if it's just him
who's tired of it. :/ I recall someone complaining about having more
non-White actors taking lead roles in mainstream American films along
the lines of 'we get it. Now go back to being quiet about it.' But the
issue for many viewers might be having literally decades of White
actors always being the leads and non-Whites always being secondary.
That might be decades of being tired of it, but then having Whites
complain when there's a handful of mainstream American films where
this isn't the case.

> I guess many Black do, because it belittles their personal
> achievements. I guess many Blacks want to be seen as strong and
> self-reliant persons, not as parts of an oppressed minority.

I think the issue is many people want to appear antiracist, so it ends
up merely showing a social appropriateness bias rather than
antiracism. Often people do that by loudly proclaiming their moral
superiority. (One can see it as a form of false consciousness too. I
think social appropriateness is often just that.)

And, yes, the goal should be not to belittle individuals. In fact,
much of the belittling happens when individuals are seen purely as
members of a group rather than as individuals with agency. (Notice, I
used 'purely' here. I don't think it's an either/or. One can be both a
member of an oppressed group and have agency. And there's also
intersectionality: one can be a member of several groups at once, some
being oppressed, others not, and still others doing the oppression --
as in someone who might be a patriarchal father in an oppressed
minority family. At the personal level, you can admit having social
handicaps, social privileges, and agency.)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://author.to/DanUst