[ExI] sturgis - washington post

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 01:48:32 UTC 2020

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 1:19 AM spike jones via extropy-chat
> > On Behalf Of Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat
> > ... Come on Hugh, snap out of it man, etc.
> >
> > Check this:
> >
>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k-T8S0lEwQ
>
> >...Have to check it out later. Don't know if you recall their old show
> together. I was very young when I saw it. Probably not funny now.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan
>
> I do!  They had a Saturday night show with a lot of improv, very funny
> stuff.  Their comedy aged well.  Brits are allowed to be politically
> incorrect more than we yanks are.  They don't take themselves too seriously.

I vaguely remember it, but don't recall it being politically
incorrect. I meant the jokes might not be funny now. I've seen enough
Britcoms to know not all of them have aged well. And it's not purely
because folks in the US are too puritanical. Some of it is topical and
some of it is simply that the culture has changed. In fact, I'm going
to guess that younger Britons today don't laugh as much at stuff
younger Britons in the 1980s or 1970s would've laughed at. Else why
isn't Ab Fab still on the air? :)

> This source tells where the limey name originated:
>
> https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/08/24/limey/

Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't say the French originated the
term. That was where my disagreement was with you. (The term doesn't
even sound like something the French would originate, does it?)

But actually I'm wrong too:

https://www.etymonline.com/word/limey

Then again, maybe not:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/limey

The latter is claiming an earlier origin and a US one. But in neither
case is the term of French origin.

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via: