[ExI] sturgis - washington post

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 18:51:05 UTC 2020

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 9:37 AM BillK via extropy-chat
> On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 at 02:51, Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat
> <snip>
> > Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't say the French originated the
> > term. That was where my disagreement was with you. (The term doesn't
> > even sound like something the French would originate, does it?)
> >
> > But actually I'm wrong too:
> > https://www.etymonline.com/word/limey
> >
> > Then again, maybe not:
> > https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/limey
> >
> > The latter is claiming an earlier origin and a US one. But in neither
> > case is the term of French origin.
> > Dan
> >_________________________
>
> The British sailors started drinking lemon juice to avoid scurvy and
> later switched to lime juice.
> (The lime juice was much less effective, but ships were travelling
> faster, so nobody noticed).
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limey>
> The English words 'lemon' and 'lime' originated from the 12thC French
> word 'limon' which referred to all citrus fruits.
> That's the only French connection.

Just to be clear:

The English word 'lime' comes directly from French. (Sidenote: French
has two words for lime: la lime and le citron vert.)

The English word 'limey' does not come directly from French. In fact,
it comes from English-speaking people -- either from US-Americans or
from English-speaking people in the Southern Hemisphere (Australians,
etc.).

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via: