[ExI] Is the ExI email list slowly dying out? And if so, what can be done to reverse such an outcome?

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 19:03:38 UTC 2020

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 7:57 AM Giulio Prisco via extropy-chat
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 6:50 PM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat

> > You didn't comment on this. Is this because you disagree with the sentiment?
>
> I don't disagree,

So, just to be clear, you do agree that non-binary epople do suffer
discrimination? And I hope you also acknowledge -- though I'm
skeptical of you here -- that discrimination, including legal
discrimination and including violence (up to lethal levels), is
visited upon the non-binary much more than they visit it on others. I
mean the data here clearly shows non-binary people mainly as victims
of discrimination -- despite whining from conservative religious types
that somehow non-binary people are victimizers (and, of course,
conservatives are, in their own view, the victims because any
tolerance of non-binary people is view by them as among the worst
social ills of all time).

> but I'm very much against hateful identity politics,
> and I think today's "wokeness" is hateful identity politics.

In today's world, 'woke' just means aware and attentive to social
injustice issues like racism, misogyny, homophobia, transphobia. It
doesn't entail a political agenda. I would hope all Extropians are
woke in that sense. Being woke doesn't mean one has to embrace all the
political and policy views of other woke people either.

I don't think woke per se is 'hateful identity politics.' It makes
sense to know and try to do something about all forms of bigotry. It
makes even more sense for Extropians who shouldn't be wed to
traditional views of society or of things like gender, sex, national
identity, and the like. I mean we do all want here a future where
people are free to choose, via technology and science, to break away
from traditional or conventional social roles, don't we? Or do you
just want the future to be like some traditional society with a few
more gadgets added in and where none of the science affects how people
view their options or roles?

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via: