[ExI] new word usage

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 20:21:43 UTC 2020

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 7:57 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
> What am I doing this weekend?  Hulking around.  (no, not 'rise massively!) bill w
>
> Related entries & more
> hulk (v.)
> "to be clumsy, unwieldy, or lazy," 1789, from hulk (n.) or a back-formation from
> hulking. Meaning "rise massively" is from 1880. Related: Hulked; hulking.

A problem would be getting that to catch on. In college, a friend of
mine tried to get words to catch -- either new usages or recovering
archaic ones -- but none of that seemed to work for him. To be sure, I
thought it would be difficult for someone who didn't have a large
following and wasn't in the limelight to become the vanguard of
language change.

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via: