[ExI] hey cool, chess is good for you now

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Oct 24 18:29:18 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] hey cool, chess is good for you now

>…Spike, you were into boxing?!!! Why, you athletic tough guy poindexter! Lol Between that and the motorcycles, no wonder you married a hot chick!  : )

Ja, but John, you don’t understand.  You and I have met, so you know how I am built.  I was able to box in the featherweights after hitting my current height of 6 ft, so I could reach out and touch someone.  That worked until a friend of mine (much shorter) figured out how to get inside that radius and hammer my guts.  {8^D  I woulda had to give it up anyway, as I was getting close to the 126 pound cutoff, and I didn’t want to face those big bruisers in the Lightweight division.

Odd aspect of boxing: they don’t adjust the weight of the gloves for the lighter divisions, so boxing is a lot safer sport for the smaller guys: we aren’t strong enough to hurt each other.  I never did get my bell rung.  But I rang Barry’s (the guy who figured out how to get past my reach (who eventually earned a PhD in economics (and is now a college professor in North Carolina.))))

Regarding chess and boxing: those two sports are more similar than most people realize.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing

There is some hope to get it into the Olympic games.