[ExI] Rare Metal Asteroid That’s Worth $10,000,000,000,000,000,000

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 18:56:27 UTC 2020

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 1:34 PM John Grigg via extropy-chat
> I wonder who will get robot miners there first, America or China? Or I should say, American or Chinese companies...
>
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 9:06 PM John Clark via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>>
>> Rare Metal Asteroid That’s Worth $10,000,000,000,000,000,000

Of course, if demand stayed the same and one could economically
extract and use the metal, then the price would drop -- probably in
anticipation of the extraction if not afterward.

These kinds of claims about how much this or that asteroid is worth
don't usually take that into account. And, yes, demand probably won't
remain constant. My guess would be an ever larger available supply of
any raw material would be great. Having it available in space is even
better given current launch costs even accounting for a near term drop
in launch costs. So, the demand might rise, but my guess is the supply
will rise even faster than the demand, so a huge price drop. So maybe
companies looking to 'mine the sky' will either have to sell of lot of
extract materials or be part of a larger operation -- say, to build
power sats or settlements or Dyson clouds or whatever in space.

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://author.to/DanUst