[ExI] Rare Metal Asteroid That?s Worth $10, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Oct 28 19:04:04 UTC 2020

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of
Bill Hibbard via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] Rare Metal Asteroid That?s Worth $10, 000, 000, 000, 000,
000, 000

Hmmm, am I crazy or does the string of digits in the title denote ten
quintillion dollars, while the URL says 10 quadrillion?

> Rare Metal Asteroid That's Worth $10,000,000,000,000,000,000
> <https://observer.com/2020/10/nasa-discover-asteroid-pysche-metal-10-q
> uadrillion/>

Hi Bill, I noticed that too, but I kinda interpreted it as one of those
British things.  They switched the billion and million on us with no
explanation, so we are never quite certain who we are talking about when we
hear the now-famous phrase "...millionehs and billionehs..."

OK bad example, the guy who made that comment famous made it sound like
there were similarities between those two classes.

Distinguishing between 10 quadrillion and 10 quintillion is meaningless: you
can get to that number if you estimate the cost of hauling all that out to
that orbit, which would not be done.  One could very nearly as easily argue
that the asteroid is worthless (for now) because we can't get to it at a
practical cost with the means of using it for anything useful.