[ExI] outing myself

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 00:23:21 UTC 2020

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 10:03 PM BillK via extropy-chat
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 at 21:45, spike jones via extropy-chat
>> OK perhaps it is an America thing.
>
> Oh no!   UK and EU collectors also pay small fortunes for ordinary
> objects that have a famous name attached to them. I just don't see the
> point myself.

Was going to say the phenomenon is global. There's no special in the
US about this -- save maybe that many more folks have enough extra
income to indulge in this. But then I've known poor people who keep
stuff based on similar things.

By the way, an earlier comment you mentioned on a spoon made me think
of something I've often wondered about. I've seen this in movies and
on TV, but never in real life: someone dies and a family member
(usually a parent) preserves their room as it was around the time the
first person died. Here's what I was wondering. I get the whole idea
of preserving the memory, but my question is might it be better to
make a clean break? Say, turn that room into a study or just move? I
would think the reminder and the repeated need to guard the room
against change might cause more problems.

And do you know anyone who's done this? I don't personally know anyone
who has. So I was wondering if it's just a movie/TV trope. (It's
usually in poor taste to ask someone who's lost a family member about
this. Not that I've never been guilty of faux pas... which is both
singular and plural, I've been told. I meant plural -- comme pour moi,
definitely plural!:)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via: