[ExI] diesel powered tesla charging stations

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Oct 29 13:19:10 UTC 2020

-----Original Message-----
From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>
Subject: RE: [ExI] diesel powered tesla charging stations

...> On Behalf Of Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat

,,, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
> ... too few charging stations, and the number of Teslas is increasing
> faster than the number of charging stations available.

>...You can, if the existing infrastructure can carry the extra peak load...
Because of its efficiency, low cost to install and speed of transition, I can see Diesel generators playing a big part as electric cars become mainstream.  spike

After all that, I forgot to mention there is a big drawback to the Diesel-generated chargers:  that will be an expensive charge-up for the Tesla driver.  It is easy to imagine a 200 dollar charge for a 500 km stretch, once we cover the cost of the fuel, the investment cost and the investor as usual will want a profit offit.

The initial investment is relatively low but operating cost is relatively high compared to more traditional generation.

The whole notion is as much to help sell more electric cars as it is a practical long term solution.  It would be a transition until we get enough natural gas and coal plants built to carry the load, or ideally nuclear plants.