[ExI] for classical music lovers only

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 02:01:56 UTC 2020

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 12:56 AM Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat
> Bill Wallace wrote:
>
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 3:36 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
>> I am at the point where I think I know just about every piece up until
>> about 1900 or maybe 1930 that I like.  So after that I am looking for
>> new music to buy.  I get the American Record Guide and buy CDs
>> based on reviews and have a success rate of maybe 10%.  The
>> others I give away.
>>
>> So, I am interested in finding out from other classical music lovers
>> who, since 1900, has become a favorite whose music I might like.  If
>> a composer is famous I very likely know all I need to know about
>> him or her.
>
> I would get the musical scores from the Star Wars movies performed by
> the Los Angeles Philharmonic. In so far as classical music can be
> considered a genre instead of a musical period ending in the 1800s,
> then John Williams is one of the best modern classical music
> composers. He is why the Star Wars movies are "space opera" instead of
> "space theater" or "space story".

Violates Bill W's dictum: someone he would likely not know.

While immensely popular, Williams basically recycles other composers.
And mean recycle not in the sense of is heavily influenced by but as
in merely takes their stuff and repackages it into movie music. I feel
Ennio Morricone is a much better film music composer. This isn't to
saw a Williams score doesn't work. It does. And his earlier stuff is
better; he seems to be phoning it in now.

By the way, a movie music composer who's definitely not for everyone,
whom I like, is Stelvio Cipriani. I especially like his work in "What
Have They Done to Your Daughters?" (1974). I haven't actually seen
that movie, but I like his work on it.

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via: