[ExI] Star Trek will never be perfect — and that’s the mission

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 09:34:38 UTC 2020

 I realize this has often been discussed, but it is interesting to see how
Star Trek's desire for showing progressive social themes has evolved over
time, as society has...

"In 1966, it was hopeful to imagine a world in which women wouldn’t be
looked down on for dressing “immodestly.” In 1989, it was hopeful to
imagine a future where men would be allowed in hospital delivery rooms to
support their partners
<https://ikthral.tumblr.com/post/631276708524392448/prismatic-bell-elfwreck-cannon-fannon>.
It seems certain that by 2038 or so, we’ll look at more aspects of
*Discovery* or *Picard*
<https://www.polygon.com/tv/2020/1/23/21078188/star-trek-picard-review-patrick-stewart-jeri-ryan-cbs-all-access-series>
or *Lower Decks*
<https://www.polygon.com/animation-cartoons/2020/8/7/21357753/lower-decks-star-trek-references-characters-mike-mcmahan-interview>
and cringe all the same. Star Trek’s failures are, in part, a
multi-generational history of hope. They express the fervent wish that one
day, humanity will be free to express our best principles, be our best
selves, and peer-pressure our coworkers into coming to our amateur poetry
recitals <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQCjqS3k2To>."

https://www.polygon.com/tv/2020/10/16/21506273/star-trek-shows-episodes-themes-explained