[ExI] new goal

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Sep 2 20:11:41 UTC 2020

https://youtu.be/Febfj41cBmg

>…That is a good video, it's pretty much with Steven Pinker's thought provoking book "Better Angels Of Our Nature" is all about".

John K Clark

I am a big fan of Pinker and the Angels book.  I didn’t hear of it until about spring of 2016, but John you likely already know what was consuming my full and undivided in 2016.  I was there, at SLAC, when the first public announcement of the LIGO results were made.  It was hard to think of much else for some time after I heard that sound.

I remember being in that huge auditorium, packed to the rafters, as the good professor went thru the argument for how they isolated the signal, separated it from random noise, reached the end of his talk and commented “…so we took the frequencies and translated them into something your ear can detect…”

600 geeks, standing room only, it was so quiet in there you could hear your own heartbeat.  Then he said: “This… is the sound… of two black holes merging:”

https://youtu.be/QyDcTbR-kEA

I marveled at living to hear that sound.  I was filled with gratitude that my friend from college came out from Colorado to join me in that talk.  Gratitude is negative anger.  I have enough of it to cancel any residual anger from everything else.