[ExI] bikers again

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Sep 4 04:32:28 UTC 2020

From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 3, 2020 3:32 PM
To: 'ExI chat list' <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: spike at rainier66.com
Subject: RE: [ExI] bikers again

> On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty via extropy-chat

>>>…Big thinkers, think big please.  If that’s it, what do we do next?  If we need another test, what test?  How?

>>…I doubt it's just sunlight.

>…Contributing factor?  I fear it is wishful thinking on my part…spike

The uncertainty period on reporting for August ended today, so I went back and looked at some numbers for August in two counties in which I take interest: Santa Clara county where I live and Los Angeles county where some people I care about live.  If we take the reported August covid fatalities in Santa Clara and scale that down to half million, I am getting about 12 covid fatalities per half million in August.  Los Angeles is harder hit, with their many problems down that way.  They are coming up to about 40 covid fatalities per half million August.

The half million bikers at Sturgis count their collective August fatality rate at… 1.

There is plenty of sunshine in LA this time of year.

I had another idea, a kind of slightly wilder one, but vaguely plausible perhaps.  When one goes to Sturgis, showers are hard to come by, but since one is sleeping on the ground anyway, there isn’t much point really, is there?  People don’t ride in for the luxury accommodations (if so, this is their first trip there and they will learn soon.)  What if… people began to get ripe, even before they arrive?  Then everyone will naturally give everyone else plenty of social distance just because of the aroma, ja?

Starting about now, there is time to have been to the rally, stayed healthy and distanced from the other stinking bikers, come home healthy, showered, caught covid from a homer, count as a new covid case who went to Sturgis, then perish of covid as a Sturgis goer.  After about today, there was plenty of time to catch and die after the fact, but still be able to muck up the Sturgis data.  It might be they did catch at Sturgis, and are still living, but after about now, it becomes ambiguous if they caught there or if they were post-Sturgis fatalities who went to Sturgis.