[ExI] The Futurism of Elon Musk

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Sep 7 01:05:51 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] The Futurism of Elon Musk

From: spike at rainier66.com <mailto:spike at rainier66.com>  <spike at rainier66.com <mailto:spike at rainier66.com> >

>>…Sure, we have power shortages now, particularly at sunset on hot days, but… there is a solution to that, and Mr. Musk will sell it to us.

>…You wouldn't need a solution if your state faced the reality of its energy needs and balanced them appropriately against the unreliability of a heavily "green" solar/wind grid…

You are right on that Dylan.  I am confident that the government will not deal with it effectively (and it isn’t even clear what it could do really (the same party controls both houses with a supermajority in the senate and the governor’s seat (so what could they do?)))

It is up to PG&E, but they are up to their eyeballs in lawsuits over those fires in 2018.  So they will opt for rolling blackouts (another one is predicted for this evening, so I will make this short (the power could go out at any minute.)

Musk’s solution allows people to increase the power capacitance of the grid.  It is analogous to a really expensive integrated generator system.  If a prole has 80k-120k to drop into it, that system can integrate rooftop solar, lithium battery backup, create a non-interruptible AC system and even run your AC.  It wouldn’t be enough to charge your hotwatt Tesla, and you would need gas clothes drying, but it could carry AC overnight.

For 150k-200k, you could really go first class, and never need to pay a power bill.  Granted your payback time on that would be about 30 years, but it can be done.  Musk can get that done for you.