[ExI] The Futurism of Elon Musk

Dylan Distasio interzone at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 20:15:29 UTC 2020

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020, 4:10 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> > *On Behalf Of *Dylan Distasio via extropy-chat
> *Subject:* Re: [ExI] The Futurism of Elon Musk
>

> On Sun, Sep 6, 2020 at 11:25 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <
>

> *From:* spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>
>
> Sure, we have power shortages now, particularly at sunset on hot days,
> but… there is a solution to that, and Mr. Musk will sell it to us.
>

> >…You wouldn't need a solution if your state faced the reality of its
> energy needs and balanced them appropriately against the unreliability of a
> heavily "green" solar/wind grid… Dylan
>

> Hi Dylan,
>

> Oy vey.  I have a family member in Southern Cal who is sick, has to deal
> with this:

> So… why not encourage (with tax incentives?) well-off proles to buy Teslas
> and Power Walls, then use those to help carry the load rather than these
> absurd rolling blackouts?
>

> Aside: when California had those rolling blackouts in about 2000 and 2001,
> someone built a natural gas peaker plant:
>

> https://ww2.energy.ca.gov/sitingcases/losesteros2/index.html
>

> What I heard is that they had planned and had pre-approved a second phase
> which would require one of those hourglass-shaped cooling towers (like you
> see in Mr. Burns’ nuke plant in Springfield) but the locals found ways to
> block that from being built (because it looks too nuclear):
>

> https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Springfield_Nuclear_Power_Plant#:~:text=The%20Springfield%20Nuclear%20Power%20Plant,mainly%20Homer's%20work%20place
> .
>

> Without that second-phase tower, the natural gas plant was too inefficient
> and went outta business.
>

> Now we are back to rolling blackouts.
>

> The reason I posted that tweet from the LA mayor: why would anyone need to
> unplug unused appliances?  If they are unused, what difference would it
> make if they were plugged in?
>

> spike

Spike,
Sorry to hear about the family member!

The reason they're asking you to unplug unused appliances is that many
modern appliances still drain some current even if turned off.   They're
not truly off in the sense of an open circuit.  It adds up over an entire
population.