[ExI] bikers again and smallpox

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Sep 8 21:56:27 UTC 2020

> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] bikers again and smallpox

Spike, correlation does not imply causation. SR Balard

This is one of the worst insults I have ever seen in these posts.  Why don't you ask him if he understands correlation?

bill w

Eh, BillW, I inferred no insult from that.  SR is not that way.  Besides if she wished to insult, she would take that over to ExiPol where that sorta thing is allowed, or post it offlist.

Her point as I interpreted it, is that certain states didn’t need to shut down and really couldn’t anyway: South Dakota is filled with cowboys, well cowhumans in general, who do not look to government for permissions on how they run their business.

I look at it this way: lower-ranking beef-industry workers are sometimes referred to as cow-pokes.  I would rather not ponder exactly what that particular career requires of those employed in that profession, but if one takes it too literally, it…  well… let’s drop it at that please.

Where was I?  Cowpokes, cowboys, South Dak…

Oh yeah, now I remember.  Some states are loosely packed and they didn’t get much covid, and never shut down at all because they didn’t need to or didn’t have that option really.

This contagion really is all about population density.  It isn’t masks, it isn’t even lockdowns exactly.  It must jump from sick person to well person, and the only really plausible mechanism I can easily envision is by wafting sneezes, probably indoors.