[ExI] as the world burns

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Sep 9 22:42:58 UTC 2020

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat

>>...Repent, ye sinners and FORTRAN coders!  It’s the apocalypse! spike

>...My climate feeds are full of photos and news about the fires all down the west coast. Whole towns have been evacuated and destroyed by the fires. Seems to be the worst fire season ever.  BillK

BillK, every time we fight a forest fire by any means, including stopping the destruction at a firebreak such as a road, we are in a sense kicking the can down the road.  With every home and business saved, we are accumulating fuel that otherwise would have been consumed.  By that theory, everything we are doing is trending in the long run toward worse and worse fire seasons.

Dousing forest fires seems right, but eventually it will burn anyway.  Preserving nature requires working with nature.