[ExI] black biggies

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 20:35:43 UTC 2020

On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 at 15:53, spike jones via extropy-chat

> These LIGO results just keep blowing our minds.  They recently announced a merger of two black holes of mass 85 and 66 solar masses, which I thought had to be a typo or a mistake when I first read it, but they claim it is true.  That 85 sol black hole is too big to have formed by the usual path as we (or as I) understand it.
>
> To be that size, it would hafta have formed by a previous black hole merger, and if so, that too is quite mysterious by my understanding of cosmology.  Even the smaller of this pair is close to the limits of the standard model of black hole formation.
>
> spike

Ethan Siegel discusses this event and various possible theories about
where these large black holes might have come from.
(More data required!).

<https://medium.com/starts-with-a-bang/ligos-biggest-mass-merger-ever-foretells-a-black-hole-revolution-98b365eee410>
Quote:
LIGO’s Biggest Mass Merger Ever Foretells A Black Hole Revolution
When two black holes that shouldn’t exist are seen merging, physics
has some explaining to do.
Ethan Siegel Sep 10, 2020