[ExI] 9/11

Darin Sunley dsunley at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 16:01:40 UTC 2020

I was doing my first class of the first year of my Education degree at the
University of Manitoba. The tvs in the Student Union building were running
the story, but there were no real details yet. My first thought when I
heard "an airplane hit one of the WTC towers" was "like, a Cessna or
something?".

Classes were still being held as normal, so we were in a bit of a media
bubble all morning. I had a Palm Vx with a Minstrel CDPD modem, so I was
the only person, probably in the building, possibly on campus, with mobile
internet. I was getting updates from CNN's mobile site throughout the
morning.

  [Yeah, I had internet in my pocket before it was cool. Probably made it
easier to resist upgrading to the then ridiculously expensive smartphones a
few years later.]

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 9:54 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <