[ExI] an unfortunate investment in trees

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Sep 11 18:37:49 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Dylan Distasio via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] an unfortunate investment in trees

>>…The fires are worse than they might be because the woods are denser than
they would be if people had not worked so hard for decades to - guess
what - stop fires!

>>…Can we hope for a policy shift, to tolerate small fires to keep the tree
population at a more natural density?

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org <http://www.bendwavy.org>

>…It is refreshing to see the real cause and solution proposed on this list instead of the default "Errr climate change."   Whether anyone in government learns from what experts have actually proposed as policy is an entirely different story.

>…In any case, I hope all affected are staying safe out there! Dylan

If you go to the west coast redwood forests and understand what you are looking at (by reading their fire history, study their maps and chronologies) it is easy to see exactly what Anton’s post and Dylan’s is about.

Most touristas come thru the forest at a dead run, hey ma look at the big trees ok saw it done it lets head to Vegas for the REAL fun.

My ExI friends, don’t do that.  If you come out to see the redwood forests, forget Vegas, forget San Francisco, make sure you really see and understand what you saw.  Don’t just come to gawk.  Come to study.  Know what to look for before you get there.  Camp, hike, stick around a while, look closely everywhere, notice details, gain understanding not just selfies in front of a giant tree trunk.

For instance, look at the forest floor in places where they just do hafta fight fires (because of the homes and stuff in there.)  Contrast that to places where they have realized that fire has to have its her eventually.  Look down, get down on all four if your dignity allows (mine does (or if not, it outranked by my curiosity)) and really examine what is down there as well as what’s up there, because down there is closer and you can learn a lot more, make sure you really see what it was you came all that way to see.