[ExI] an unfortunate investment in trees

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Fri Sep 11 19:31:08 UTC 2020

Quoting Dylan Distasio:

> True, I'm not in denial that the ridiculous current temperatures certainly
> make things much worse, but actual forest management experts have known
> what needs to be done, and appear to be ignored once it reaches someone who
> is in charge of actually making that happen.   I'm referring more to the
> popular press that finds it convenient to blame any current natural
> disaster on climate change because it fits the narrative.

The investment in trees was sound, we just didn't sell before the
bubble burst. Those trees have been sequestering carbon and
counteracting greenhouse effects for centuries. If we had harvested
them for lumber or simply bulldozed them under to turn into coal for
future generations, then we would have removed said carbon from the
carbon cycle to counteract our burning of fuel.

But alas, we failed because we were too worried about ruining wildlife
habitats and stuff. I think it is hilarious that we try to treat
nature with kid gloves while nature itself gives less a shit than a
honey badger. Now some 200 million tons of CO2 has been released into
from the fires in California alone. Not to mention all the
particulates and stuff.

Setting controlled fires is a good method for preventing fires,
however, logging and selling or bulldozing and burying old-growth
forests followed by planting new trees would both prevent fires and
slow global warming. I don't think that environmentalists have yet
realized that they will not be able to both tread lightly and control
the climate at the same time. Although I am glad that for the first
time, the Democratic National Convention has finally embraced nuclear
energy in its official party platform. That is at least a step in the
right direction.

Stuart LaForge