[ExI] jarring change

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Sep 13 17:18:13 UTC 2020

What is the most change-averse institutions in modern society?  John Burch
Society?  OK sure but mainstream.  Presbyterian church?  Hmmm. warmer but
still not really mainstream and you might be surprised on their attitude
toward change.

Imagine setting up a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being most change-averse
and then multiplying by the order of magnitude of people who are in some way
involved in that.  So. Burch Society is about a 3: a few thousand people
take that seriously, and Presbyterian, a 5?  OK then.

Imagine your change-averse times numbers of people involved in some way, and
think of who ranks up near the top of that scale.

To simplify matters, you can work with just your own country or subset of
humanity where you know the rules.  I will focus on USA, having no expertise
outside (haven't been there or done that (hope to someday (but won't get on
a plane or ship (unless they carry me aboard in a wooden box.))))

OK, see the game?  Number of people (OOM) times change aversity.

My highest ranking institution is.

Public education in general, the university system in particular.  The
number of people involved in that is in about the 8 range, with a score I
estimated for aversion to change around at least 8 or 9, so we are way up in
the 60 to 70 zone with the product.

Commentary to follow, but I want to read what you have to say first.