[ExI] jarring change

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 15:06:00 UTC 2020

For a long time the pro basketballer Jerry Lucas had a book on
memorization.  If I were 50 years younger I would have every class buy it.
Few people can come up with more than one or two memory tricks which can be
extremely useful and far faster than the typical student would use on his
own.  A good rote memory saves time even over a smartphone for names and
numbers.  Memorize them once and never have to look them up again.  No more
lost passwords.  Etc.  (this has nothing to do with how much rote memory
teachers are asking for)

I hate history because there were no theories presented to try to make
sense of the things we were supposed to memorize.  I can remember ideas
just fine:  names, dates, places, not so much.  Huge waste of time for
something one can always look up.  Also, why put all that stuff in your
head?  I am a master gardener but never tried to memorize the bugs.  So I
have a book.  Look at the bug, find it in the book.  Waste of brain space
to memorize all those critters.

College is for getting a rounded education featuring the basics of Western
Civilization.  No, that does not help a person get a job.  Trade school
does that.  Increasingly I think a person will take some online courses in
what they are interested in, say banking, and that will be the only
education they need.

Some years ago I read of medical schools wanting their students coming into
medical school not having had all the science courses they can cram in, but
social sciences and humanities.  They don't want their students just to be
science drones.  Interesting.

bill w

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 7:35 PM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat <