[ExI] communism/authoritarianism

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 04:44:00 UTC 2020

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 1:56 AM Anton Sherwood via extropy-chat
> > On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 5:23 PM Dan TheBookMan wrote:
> >     You have to judge for yourself and see what they mean by communism and
> >     whether it's just the usual stock answer.
>
> On 2020-9-17 17:47, Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat wrote:
> > Which is typically "a society they are in charge of" (notice the
> > complete absence of caring about wants beyond their own), but they
> > refuse to admit as much - often, even to themselves.
>
> reminding me of https://bendwavy.org/wp/?p=2146

Remind me of someone offering a Rawlsian approach to libertarianism:
if you had to choose what kind of society to live in behind a veil of
ignorance, you'd probably want to choose the freest one to avoid the
outcome of your enemies (personal or otherwise) having more power than
you.

> and something else Dan said today reminded me of
> https://bendwavy.org/wp/?p=704

Reminds me of David Graeber's saying current societies are mixes of
'communism, exchange, and hierarchy.' Communism basically at the
family and small community, exchange in reciprocal relationships,
including most money transactions, and hierarchy as in people higher
up being able to tell people lower down what do and what they get. His
idea, if I'm understanding him is almost all individuals switch
between these depending on who and in what setting they're
interacting.

> (Having a blog archive is swell!)

Thanks for sharing. Hope to return there to find more gems.

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst