[ExI] communism/authoritarianism

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 18:13:44 UTC 2020

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 5:21 AM Anton Sherwood <bronto at pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2020-9-17 21:44, Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat wrote:
> > Remind me of someone offering a Rawlsian approach to libertarianism:
> > if you had to choose what kind of society to live in behind a veil of
> > ignorance, you'd probably want to choose the freest one to avoid the
> > outcome of your enemies (personal or otherwise) having more power than
> > you.
>
> https://bendwavy.org/wp/?p=1449

I read Popper on this in _The Open Society and Its Enemies_. It was,
IIRC, in his critique of Plato's politics. My guess is Popper got that
from earlier [classical] liberals too. I've often tried to use the
same idea on today's partisans -- telling Democrats and Republicans if
you give the president ever more power, imagine what'll happen when
the other party (the guys who believe are out to destroy all that's
decent and fine) is in power. But they are partisans.

Regards,

Dan