[ExI] smoke 'em dano

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Sep 19 03:10:21 UTC 2020

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Dan
TheBookMan via extropy-chat

Hi Dan,

Insider humor: consider a movie called Wayne's World.  Mike Myers wrote most
of that material, and he is about 2 yrs my junior.  Myers filled that with
so much early 70s pop culture, those who are up to speed on that just roll
on the floor laughing at these two goofs (Myers and Carvey playing Wayne and
Garth.)

But if one doesn't catch all the sly references all over the place, it is
the dumbest movie you ever saw.  It helps if you have friends that somehow
failed to grow up.  When that movie came out, Myers was 30 and Carvey was
37.  They played teenagers who never flew from the nest, still adrift after
high school.  I have friends from high school like that.  My 20th high
school reunion really brought it back to me: I felt lonely in a crowd of my
own friends.  Some of them were classic arrested development at about age
16.  It isn't a pleasant sight for men in their late 30s.

>...Regarding the 1960s, I've been meaning to read more on this, but there's
so much to know... Regards,  Dan

Ja, I was there and I don't understand it.  I now wonder if I was really
there.

I can offer an insight with respect to that article you posted written in
1979, for I was at University of Central Florida then, taking chemistry.  A
little later, in the spring of 1980, the political crowd started showing up
on campus to get students registered to vote in the 1980 election, which was
Reagan vs the incumbent Jimmy Carter.

Students had always been reliably leftwing voters, but that year everything
changed.  I sat at a lunch table near enough I could watch and listen to the
goings-on at the voter registration table.  About half the students wanted
to know if they could register with the other party besides the one they
were selling.  The recruiters were so puzzled!  This wasn't supposed to
happen, students are always always LIBERAL you silly idiots, it's TRADITION,
now fall in line!  But suddenly... the students didn't fall in line.  They
were split about evenly.  So... the recruiters packed up their tables and
left.  They realized they were wasting their time if the students' vote was
split right down the middle.

That's my trace of popular culture I can offer from those years: something
suddenly changed on campus right after the Iranians attacked the US embassy
in Fall of 1979.

Fun parting shot: if I were to choose two guys who carried themselves like
gentlemen and were admirable human beings among politicians in my lifetime,
it would be Reagan and Carter.  If I let that influence my vote, those two
would get mine.  I don't care about that now, but then I did.

Dan that was US pop culture in those days.