[ExI] The Handmaid's Tale

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 13:04:57 UTC 2020

Unless a last minute change is made the new US supreme court nominee will
be Amy Coney Barrett, and she is just the sort of person you would expect,
a religious crockpot. She is a member of an extreme right wing Catholic
cult called "The People of Praise"; they speak in tongues, believe in
biblical prophecy, and in divine healing. Members of the cult swear a
lifetime oath of allegiance to one another and are assigned a ideology
coach called a “head” for men and a “HANDMAID” for women to make sure
nobody strays from the official dogma. The "heads" and "handmaids" issue
orders on who to date, who to marry, where to live, whether to take a job,
whether to buy a home, and how to raise children. Part of the ideology of
People of Praise is that husbands should give orders to their wives and
only men should have authority over the family.

During her confirmation hearing in 2017 to be a federal judge Barrett said
 "*I take my faith seriously and I’m a faithful Catholic*". In 2013 she
said: "*I tend to agree with those who say that a Justice’s duty is to the
Constitution and that it is thus more legitimate for her to enforce her
best understanding of the Constitution rather than a precedent she thinks
clearly in conflict with it*"; and as a judge she approved a Indiana law
banning abortions of a deformed fetus (although her opinion was later
overturned by a higher court and the Indiana law ruled unconstitutional).
So when she is approved Roe v. Wade Will be as dead as a doornail and we're
back to the 1950's and coathanger abortions. Barrett also criticized Chief
Justice Roberts for his opinion that saved Obama’s Affordable Care Act; so
in the middle of a global pandemic the health care coverage of tens of
millions of people will be as dead as a doornail too when she hears her
first case on October 10.

To those who claim Barrett's religious views will not effect her legal
opinions I will remind you that in 2006 she said  “*If you can keep in mind
that your fundamental purpose in life is not to be a lawyer, but to know,
love and serve God, you truly will be a different kind of lawyer.*” Amy
Coney Barret would also be the youngest justice on the bench, so she could
be around for many decades.

John K Clark