[ExI] southern data

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 18:37:48 UTC 2020

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 4:25 PM BillK via extropy-chat
> On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 at 17:02, spike jones via extropy-chat
> >
> > It occurred to me after all this time to ask an obvious question of my European friends: you guys have motorcycles so there should be motorcycle rallies somewhere, ja?  Where?  And bikers in Europe would likely have a collective attitude, just as they do in the states?  And if so, these European biker events would be potential covid super-spreaders, for bikers are not known for wearing masks are paying much attention to government demands.
> >
> > Giulio, how it is for bikers in Yugoslavia?  I just went into Google Maps to take a look at street view just outside of Budapest.  The Google car showed there are plenty of cars around but I never did see motorcycles anywhere?  Don’t you guys have biker groups there?  Don’t they have rallies and such?
> >
> > I will offer this: just going into Yugoslavia Street View was an education: wheeeeeere the heeeeellll is all the traffic?  Most of the streets appear deserted.  What’s up, did you guys have the rapture but instead of taking the religion people it took away those with drivers licenses?  Why bother having roads if they aren’t all clogged up with cars?  I soooo don’t understand Europe.
> >
> > spike
>

> Yugoslavia doesn't exist anymore. There were wars and stuff and it
> split up into separate countries.
> Traffic in European cities is a big problem. I wouldn't be surprised
> if Google cars didn't like being stuck in traffic jams with only
> camera views of lorries and buses. They probably prefer to drive
> around on Sunday mornings when you can actually get views of the
> streets.

This is kind of funny because I use street view to see what a location
looks like (the permanent structures) and help with travel, but I
never expect it to give me a good idea of how many pedestrians and
vehicles are around. I presume the Google car goes through when it
goes through and that's that. I've even seen street views here
(Seattle) that are way out of date. Buildings are gone or new
buildings are up or road construction has been completed, etc. So I
don't expect it to give me reliable data -- just an overall feel...
Things like, 'That's where the espresso bar is I'm supposed to meet
them at.' so that I don't have to wander around looking for something.
(I also use it for hiking locations. There it's even sketchier because
the updates are even less frequent and don't usually cover forest
roads. It'd be really helpful, but very costly, to have updates of
forest roads -- to see whether they're washed out or have other
obstacles and potholes.)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via: