[ExI] The Handmaid's Tale

Anton Sherwood bronto at pobox.com
Sat Sep 26 19:21:46 UTC 2020

On 2020-9-26 10:06, Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat wrote:
> I'm guessing court-packing will be the way the Democrats can deal with
> this problem. Once that happens, though, then I think it'll be hard to
> stop each party from using it. The limit will be the need to control
> both houses of the Congress to carry it out. (Court-packing would
> probably have the effect of neutralizing the Supreme Court -- I mean
> neutralizing its supposed role of balancing against the other branches
> of the government.)

Court-packing is a problem that tries to solve another problem.
Here is a way to avoid both.
https://reason.com/2020/09/23/two-cheers-for-supreme-court-term-limits/

I don't think term limits a necessary element of the scheme; fixed
periodic appointments go most of the way to solve the problem.
If increasing longevity makes the court awkwardly big, and the court
itself cannot solve that problem (e.g. by drawing lots for which N
members shall hear each case), then we can discuss a Constitutional
Amendment to limit terms.

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org