[ExI] The Handmaid's Tale

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 01:08:22 UTC 2020

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 7:25 PM Anton Sherwood <bronto at pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2020-9-26 11:25, Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat wrote:
> > Also, have you seen that Maine is trying out ranked voting? [...]
> > In which case, one can vote third party and still rank other choices
> > above the person one doesn't want to see win. For instance, someone
> > might vote for the LP candidate first with the Democratic Party
> > candidate ranked second. That wouldn't result in the outcome you fear,
> > no?
>
> Do we know if someone (naming no names) also fears letting a Minor Party
> candidate win an Elector?

I imagine that would that person's fear because a minor party getting
an elector... The horror scenario for them would be that their
preferred candidate loses electors to, say, the Green Party while
their most feared candidate still had enough to win. I imagine this
can go along with the argument that the SDS, for all their hard work,
helped get Nixon into power.

In each case with the LP, the elector was lost by the GOP candidate:
Nixon lost one elector to the LP in 01972 and Trump lost one to the LP
in 02016.

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via: