[ExI] China's military power implications for American companies, investors

Anton Sherwood bronto at pobox.com
Sun Sep 27 04:38:18 UTC 2020

On 2020-9-26 07:26, Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat wrote:
> Taiwan is the last remnant of O.G. China. It is where Chiang Kai-shek
> and his family holed up after Mao Zedong took over the mainland. They
> are the last remnant of the former government of China. Some would add
> legitimate.

Well, as legitimate as a state can be.

Beijing, I hear, goes a bit nuts whenever a politician in Taiwan
proposes to declare independence.  If I had any friends in the political
class of the First Republic, I'd suggest that it instead *grant*
independence to each of the mainland provinces.  Nothing wrong with
that, surely?  If it's true that China is and has always been *by
nature* a harmonious whole, as Beijing insists, then even without a
shared overlord the provinces ought to get along swimmingly.

Incidentally I think I've seen a map showing that the First Republic has
paper claims to some bits of land that the PRC does not claim!

... In «The Diamond Age» we learn that, a ~century hence, the Empire
still (or again) governs some slivers of its old realm.  That notion
appeals to me; see also the remnant Duchy of Burgundy in «Passport to
Pimlico».

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org