[ExI] Fwd: Space governance

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Sep 27 20:26:32 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] Fwd: Space governance

On 2020-9-27 00:43, John Grigg via extropy-chat wrote:
> What about space elevators?

One concern is that a climber spends days in the Van Allen Belts.

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org

Ja, but that isn't the real show stopper.  Even if some miracle material is
found, such as carbon nanotubes and such, and even if we figure out how to
deal with radiation... everything in orbit, every dead satellite, every
piece of debris from anything at any time still on orbit, every fleck of
paint and grain of space dust... crosses the equatorial plane twice every
orbit.  The concentration of that stuff gets greater all the way down to
about 400 km altitude, at which time it starts to decrease because of drag
from traces of atmosphere.

Somewhere around 400 km, the space debris erodes or saws our marvelous space
cable right off.