[ExI] Space governance

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Sep 28 00:27:56 UTC 2020

> On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] Space governance

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 2:25 PM Anton Sherwood via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

How about this.  People are grouped into neighborhoods of 60.  Each
draws lots to choose one representative

>…As low-skilled or malicious as elected representatives can be, randomly selecting people will get even more incompetence on average.  Such a government could not function - in the bad sense of "not function".  Commons would not be protected.  Law would be absent in practice, leading to de facto rule by force instead of rule by representation and law…

Adrian that’s what I thought of too.  Those who have lived anywhere with a Homeowners Association already know all about the amateur fuehrers who tend to seek those positions.  It becomes government by the idle and incompetent.  Randomly selecting people wouldn’t help; it might make it worse.  Making them a representative rather than given any actual power might not help either.