[ExI] The Handmaid's Tale

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 20:06:19 UTC 2020

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 7:56 PM Dave Sill via extropy-chat
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 3:07 PM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 6:05 PM Dave Sill via extropy-chat
>> <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>> > Yeah, I was mostly joking. Didn't think a smiley was necessary, but I was wrong.
>>
>> When you think you don't need one is when you need one the most. :)
>

> :-)
>
>> > It's not like we're in a position to really evaluate candidate locations.
>>
>> What position would you need to be in to evaluate candidate locations?
>
> Well, we can obviously do that at some level--locations with stability, etc.,
> but a real cryonics operation looking to set up shop would have all sorts
> of legal, financial, and logistical issues that we can't armchair quarterback.

But anyone of us can do the research or seek out competent people to
give an informed opinion. I weighed in earlier on what criteria I
think are important: political tolerance (under which the legal stuff
would fall), social stability, geology, climate, transportation
infrastructure (or maybe I didn't mention this). Yeah, I'm not trying
to run their operations from my smartphone, but I think these criteria
kind of provide an outer bound for what's under consideration.
Clients, potential or actual, should also have some means of judging
this stuff -- to see if it's a good bet. I mean you if you are or
might become a client, then you'd want to be sure they weren't messing
up, so you probably should look into this stuff and not merely treat
it as something only the folks running the shop would ever know or
care about.

Of course, one need not become an expert in everything one has
dealings with. But this seems like a bigger deal than, say, buying a
set of coffee mugs. :)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via: