[ExI] This Gigantic Sailboat Design Could Use Wind Power to Transport 7, 000 Cars

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 14:53:58 UTC 2020

"Emissions from the cheap fossil fuels used in the shipping industry
<https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-how-we-can-improve-commercial-shipping-s-huge-environmental-footprint>
are
thought to be responsible for around 2 percent
<https://www.iea.org/reports/international-shipping> of energy-related
carbon emissions across the world – and the total amount continues to rise.

Now, researchers at a shipping company have designed a new type of cargo
vessel that will be able to ship large amounts of merchandise while running
entirely on wind power, cutting 90 percent of the typical shipping
emissions along the way. It's being called the OceanBird.

And this wouldn't be a scaled-down, lightweight cargo ship either –
according to the projections of the company behind the design, Wallenius
Marine, OceanBird would be capable of ferrying 7,000 cars across the
Atlantic."
As a teenager, I came across a futurist book that had an artist's
conception of this type of ship on the cover. The writer had an enthusiasm
for the possibilities of the future that I found utterly captivating. It
drives me crazy that I can't remember the author or the book title! Argh!

https://www.sciencealert.com/this-gigantic-high-tech-sailboat-uses-the-power-of-the-wind-to-transport-7-000-cars