[ExI] new covid case rates

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 21:31:52 UTC 2021

On Apr 7, 2021, at 11:03 AM, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
> From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat
>
> >…This would be exactly the same if the constitution you worship…
>
> Wording it like this almost makes it sound like you don’t worship the constitution.

I’ve made my position clear here over the years. You rarely directly respond when I critique the ‘awe of constitution’ line.

> It is the only thing standing between us and complete tyranny.  It is the only thing keeping government in check.

No, it isn’t. What keeps tyranny in check anywhere is not a piece of paper. It’s a wider cultural norms in society (or people acting on those norms) and various factions in the ruling class vying against each other. At best, a constitution either reflects that wider culture and the power dynamics (think of why the mostly unwritten English constitution worked to some extent: wider culture and it reflected the the vying between commons, aristocrats, and royals — a rivalry already in place not one created by some committee). When it doesn’t reflect that then it doesn’t matter... Or as Lysander Spooner put it:

‘But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it.’

Still not convinced. The US Constitution did little to restrain taking land from indigenous people. It was simply ignored. The same document did not restrain the Federalist Party when it decided to abrogate free speech. It wasn’t until the Federalists were out of power that their anti-speech laws were rescinded. If you fantasy version of reality worked, the Cherokee might still be living in the Southeast and the Federalists would’ve never passed the Sedition Act much less would anyone have been jailed or fined under it.

> >… some people would simply not comply and many of them would face little penalty for compliance even if, say, said amendment mandates the severe penalties for noncompliance…
>
> The legislature wouldn’t even bother trying to get 38 states to play along with creating such an amendment.  Without a law, there can be no penalty for non-compliance.  Without legislatures passing it, there is no law.  Perhaps it will eventually dawn on the politicians that covid is not effectively controlled with law, it is effectively controlled by medical science.  It is not a good opportunity to seize additional power, is not a crisis going to waste, it is only a crisis.

Let’s try this again. There are speed limits, right? Even were there a national speed limit enshrined in a constitutional amendment, do you seriously believe that everyone would suddenly follow the speed limit at all times never ever going over when, say, they felt they could get away with it? If you seriously do, then I’m sorry I’ll exit this particular discussion because I’m needed back on Earth. ;)

Regards,

Dan