[ExI] yelling fire

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Apr 9 16:59:25 UTC 2021

…> On Behalf Of Dave Sill via extropy-chat

Conclusion: you can yell fire in a crowded theatre… spike

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shouting_fire_in_a_crowded_theater

Doing that did cause a significant number of deaths a hundred or more years ago. As a justification for not allowing anti-draft pamphlets to be distributed, it's not such a great argument.

-Dave

Ja.  I didn’t really mean to segue into a free-speech discussion, but rather to point out that there isn’t much that can cause a fatal human stampede left, other than gunshots.  Modern people go into a total panic at the sound of gunshots, but not the threat of being trapped in a burning building, the risk of which has gone down so dramatically that we don’t even worry about it anymore.  People do freak out over gunshots.