[ExI] pistols

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Apr 20 19:31:10 UTC 2021

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat
…

>…You’re more likely to be killed if you have a gun at home than if you don’t.

People are more likely to die of heart failure if they take heart medication than if they don’t.  This statistic should not be cited in urging patients to not take the meds.

>…You are the victim of a cognitive bias - feeling safer rather than actually being safer - if you have a gun…

One might suppose the same argument would hold for heart medications.  I would ask my second cousin, were he still with us, but he ran out of heart medications last fall, then died a few weeks afterwards (in his case it was the mistaken belief that he no longer needed them (he did.))  I don’t know how that would count in the statistics.  He took the meds for about 15 years, but wasn’t taking them at the time of his death (by heart failure.)

The gun statistics fail to account for how dangerous is the neighborhood to start with.  They also fail to subtract suicides (which shouldn’t count by my way of looking at things.)