[ExI] pistols

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 04:03:56 UTC 2021

On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 at 13:47, spike jones via extropy-chat <

> *From:* extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> *On Behalf
> Of *Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat
> *…*
>
> >….I don’t see why you should leave out suicide; if you have an argument
> with your spouse and then shoot yourself in the head, that is a serious
> problem.
>
> --
>
> Stathis Papaioannou
>

> I do see why that should be a separate category.  Suicide accounts for a
> large percentage of death by firearm.  If I decide I want to end it all,
> then that is my choice.  It isn’t the fault of the gun or the fact that I
> have one.  There are legitimate reasons why people make that choice, and I
> respect their choice.  Of all the ways to finish oneself, I would think
> that method would be the least painful.

Impulsive suicide is not really the same as, say, deciding to end your life
because you have a terminal illness. I have seen many patients over the
year who attempted suicide by overdose, woke up in hospital a few hours
later, said they felt silly and went home. If they had put a gun in their
mouth and pulled the trigger, the outcome would have been different.

> Regarding statistics: things change.  Because of the verdict in today’s
> trial, life in the USA just became dramatically more dangerous.  Police
> everywhere in the USA will be seriously rethinking their career choices.
> We can easily anticipate that plenty of them will say adios amigo to the
> force.  Result: they will be less likely to come to your aid in a timely
> manner should the bad guy come to visit.  One can scarcely blame them:
> their job was already dangerous enough.  Add to that the legal liability in
> the event they make a mistake, law enforcement is a lousy career choice.
>

> Result: we the people need to be ready to carry out homeland security
> ourselves.  But this carries at least one advantage: far faster response
> time.
>

> spike

Stathis Papaioannou