[ExI] mit covid study

Henry Rivera hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu
Mon Apr 26 22:10:33 UTC 2021

Re. % compliance...

I’m in admittedly the most liberal city, Northampton, in probably the most liberal state. My community is in a bubble that masks the rest of reality pretty well. This is called the ‘Five College Area’, with high concentrations of students and liberal arts college professors. We have to remind ourselves of this bubble before we send our children into the real world lest they be shocked at the intolerance and bigotry out there. I’m only half-joking. Our superintendent of schools 4 years ago sent a letter home to parents when our former President won the election announcing there would be extra counselors available to students at school after learning students were expressing feelings “that they were in need of support or concerned about friends” as a result of the outcome of the election.

But even outside Northampton, in the greater Springfield metropolitan area, public wearing of masks is easily 99-100%. The businesses, public areas like parks, and public transportation all have signs, “Masks required” or “No mask, no service.” And they mean it. The masking mandate is by the governor’s Executive Order which functions much the same as federal Executive Orders within the Commonwealth. There is a fine for non-compliance but I haven’t heard of anyone being fined. I know someone local who is antimask, and he keeps me appraised of the ongoing “discrimination” against him by grocery stores, the barber, buses, and everywhere else you can imagine. They call the cops on him, and the cops shoo him away under threat of arrest for trespassing and maybe disorderly conduct if he doesn’t calm down. Many business have masks at their entrances next to hand sanitizer in case anyone forgot a mask. I’ve really only seen homeless people not in masks outside. People remove them if no one is around but then put them back on if someone is approaching. People exercise in them etc.

So that’s how we’re living in Western Mass. I’d venture to guess it’s the same in Boston and Central Mass.